11/18/10

/:/:/:/


Native American (?) river cane basket-hard to tell how old or new this one is, seems like a modern take on a traditional lidded storage basket with the addition of articulated handles, beautiful work. Cree beaded crown 1950's...I spotted/coveted these items on a road trip months back and Les went back to find them for me >< ()!

*Although I'd originally listed this as a Chitimacha basket-which is how it was identified when sold-I've since been contacted by a representative from the Chitimacha tribe correcting this error (thanks Kim).

**As when Mr Aubock corrected me on the issue of the coat hooks-I always appreciate being schooled on the material represented herein by those more familiar/connected to particular objects and their cultural significance.

In house relatives here and here.

1 comment: